starter feeds for old flock

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mmmyyykkkeee, Mar 13, 2015.

1. mmmyyykkkeee

mmmyyykkkeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2015
    Hi guys, i ordered 8 day old chicks and they will be arriving this Sunday. For sure they will need starter feeds. My question is, can i also feed starter feeds to my existing flock? They are 13 and 11 weeks old. The reason why i asked this question is because i don't want to maintain 2 containers for feeds as much as possible. However, i am not sure if the nutrient requirements of my existing flock is different from the chicks.

Also, when i got my first flock they are more than a month old so i feed them grower feeds but i read in some forums that chicks must be fed starter feeds until they are 10 weeks old. How true is that? If that is the case, i might have fed my flock with grower feeds too soon? Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Yes you can give them the starter feed. When the older girls start laying, you can make oyster shell available for them.

We used (and still use) the Purina Flockraiser crumbles...and leave out a smaller feeder that has oyster shell in it.

3. mmmyyykkkeee

mmmyyykkkeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2015
    Thanks! I don't have to worry having 2 containers then. I am just worried about the nutrients that the bigger chooks need. but I guess starter is fine. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by