Starter grit or Layer grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sparrker, Oct 17, 2011.

1. sparrker

sparrker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    My chicks are 9.5 weeks old and I need to get more grit. The feed mill where I get it from sells it in 50lb bags. Should I get the layer grit or starter(smaller) grit?
    Thanks in advance
    Patti

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    at that age are they free ranging at all? if they are you don't need to supplement grit, they get it from the dirt they consume...

you can always get the larger grit and crush it a bit more if you need to purchase some, may as well get the bigger one...they grow so quickly!

3. sparrker

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    Yes they are free ranging and getting snacks. I was thinking of getting the larger as the smaller grit will probably be on the bottom of the bag and I can take from the bottom of the bag first.
    Patti

4. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    your buying GRIT in 50 lb bags? They won't use nearly that much, especially if free ranging. Now, if you mean FEED you will want to continue with starter at that age. The "LAYER" part is what has me thrown off. Do you need chick grit or adult chicken grit. I think at that age adult grit will be ok.

5. sparrker

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    Yes our local mill sells layer GRIT for $8.95 per 50lb bag. I assume its adult chicken grit. Since layers are adults.
    Patti

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Some layer grit contains oyster shell. I would get the starter grit for now.
    I have to feed grit because I have such a fine grained clay on my place that there isn't a speck of gravel the size that would work as grit without supplementing it. Some penned chickens have cleared all the grit down to the hard packed clay in their runs, they would need grit as well.

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:got ya, if it has oyster shell in it, go with the "starter grit", your girls don't need oyster shell till they start laying...

8. sparrker

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    I just called the mill and they said it's just granite no oyster shells. I'm leaning towards the smaller grower/starter grit. IMO it wouldn't hurt them if they get the smaller grit while their layerwould it? They won't be out of the coop once the snow flies, as we measure our snow in feet. Last year we had something like 188 inches. Not on the ground all at once, we average 4 feet on the ground at once. So Chickens will be indoors most of the winter.
    Patti

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by