Starter Grit

jenkassai

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
I picked up something from Meyer called "starter grit", is that the same as chick grit? Also, I have paper towels down still (four days old), but they are finding shavings peeking out from under the paper towels and pecking them or picking them up and running around with them (I know, shocking!). I'm worried that they may eat some, and if they do, shouldn't they have some grit?? And my final question of the day (hopefully), I noticed one is starting to scratch the ground (looks so cute like she thinks she's a big girl!), should I put something down or can I put something down besides the starter food for them to scratch and peck at?

I am LOVING having these little girls and looking forward to the girls I pick up next week!!!! SUPER entertaining and ADORABLE!!!

I usually have my babies on shavings by 4 days old (depends on how many there are really) If you are feeding them chick starter, they really shouldn't need anything else. They love to scratch at their food an make messes with it too
big_smile.png

Quote:
Is that "playground" sand? Or sandbox sand or something like that? I was going to call the local hardward store and wasn't sure what I should ask for / look for.

Quote:
I pick up four more day-old chicks next week and I figured I would just leave the paper towels down until the new ones next week were ready to graduate to the shavings as well. They are from the same hatchery so I was told they could all go together.

I use paver sand myself, but I don't think it really matters all that much other than I would avoid the fine powder type sand, (which might be the playground type) and go with bigger sand nugget granuals. The insoluable granite that they sell for grit just looks too big for little chix, but the powderery type sand is probably too small and wouldn't do any good.

Back
Top Bottom