Starter/grower chick feed

JoePa

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Lehigh County Pa.
I am looking to buy some chick starter feed for some chicks I will be getting shortly - it seems all I can get is what they call chick /grower feed - I am under the impression that you use starter feed up until around 9 weeks than go to grower feed - is it ok to feed day old chicks the starter/grower feed right from the start - thanks Joe

GC-Raptor

Free Ranging
Jul 26, 2016
Connecticut, USA
all I can get is what they call chick /grower feed
Do you mean Starter-Grower 18-20%? or a Chick Grower 15-16%. 15-16% should not be fed to Chicks less than 8 weeks.
is it ok to feed day old chicks the starter/grower feed right from the start
Yes a Starter-Grower/Start & Grow feed 18 or 20% is good for Chicks from hatch through 18 weeks and throughout adulthood if Non-Medicated.
I feed all ages of Chickens a 18-20% feed. GC

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
Do you have a link to the feed or a photo of the instructions? Might be some confusion here based on what the manufacturer names the feed, vs what it's actually intended for.

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
I was looking for starter fed for chicks on Tractor Supply internet site - it seems all the choices were called Starter/Grower

Eh they should all be fine then, sounds like a matter of semantics. I don't really use "starter" anymore, I do all flock (which isn't necessarily labeled all flock, mine's labeled hatch to hen).

If there's a specific product or two you're interested in and maybe can't decide between, link it from TSC site and we can take a look at it.

Top Bottom