Starter, grower, finisher pellets - what to feed a mixed flock?

Abigrayl

Chirping
May 2, 2020
Hello,

I got half a bag of layer feed and my chickens absolutely loved it. And I loved how little waste there was. Since there are very few options for chicken feed in South Africa, I need your help to know what to feed them.

I have a mixed flock of various ages.

They have a very large run divided into sections so they are always finding worms and bugs and weeds to eat. They also live next to a large green house so they get lots of greenery and veggies from that. They also get oyster shells free choice because my flock is for eggs and entertainment.

Currently they get a mash that a local guy mixes but I can't tolerate the mess and the waste anymore.

The farm shops around here sell starter, grower, finisher and layer pellets. They also sell scratch which is what most backyard flock people feed their chickens. But my chickens don't seem to enjoy living on scratch. And I believe it's not a healthy diet.

But back to the pellets... As far as I understand all of those are for boilers and so they're probably high in fat and low in nutrients... But considering their varied diet and the oyster shells - will feeding them pellets as their main food source be okay? And what is best for my mixed flock? Starter, grower or finisher?

Please help me decide.

What are the protein levels of each? Most people, including me, feed non-layer feed around 17%-20% in protein, which can vary from brand to region, and supplement with oyster shell as you are. Layer feed has built in calcium, which may be a bit too much calcium in some cases and only 15%-16% protein, which is a tad low considering how much chickens need protein for, eggs, feathers, general health. You're right, scratch is not feed, it's unhealthy to be used as the main feed and has a little note on the bag that says something like "not to be used as primary ration"
22% protein is about the highest you want to go, normally, but if all the shop has is something higher, it won't hurt short term. I've fed 25% turkey feed since that's all there was a few times.

These are the ones they sell at the local fees store - do they look okay? I see the protein is within the recommended amount...

Attachments

• IMG-20220520-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220520-WA0003.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20220520-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20220520-WA0002.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 9
I give scratch side by side with a 50-50 mix of the grower/finisher pellets, and this together with whole corn on the side. Only babies get starter feed in seperate boxes. Have a very healthy flock of chickens and ducks. They devour the pellets, but also eat the scratch clean. So basically just mix every type together and let them decide what to eat. The whole corn is a further supplement due to its cheap cost compared to pellets. My flock is super healthy, but the downside is cost.

Back
Top Bottom