Starter in the freezer. anyone else do that? is is bad?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KattyKillFish, Mar 27, 2009.

1. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i put my starter in freezer bags and throw 'em in until i need them. or course i let them thaw first...

is it a bad thing to do? is there a better way to preserve freshness?

2. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    My freezer isn't big enough, but this sounds like a good idea - especially if you want to keep down the insect population that sometimes comes with bags of feed. I do always freeze my canary's seed - it kills any hitchhikers so I don't wind up with seed moths and such in my kitchen. But I don't think I could fit 50# of chicken feed in our freezer [​IMG] .

3. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    I have never heard of that but it seems like a good idea. Do you have medicated feed? I wonder if freezing will effect the potency of the cocci medicine? I may try that too, I read in "Storey's Guide to Raising Chicks" that feed should be consumed within 4 weeks of being milled because it instantly starts to loose it's nutritional value. Good luck!

4. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    yeah thats the thing. i'm wondering if i can prolong the life of the feed this way? i never use medicated feed unless it is needed. lol and i have a HUGE freezer, so i have lots of room in there.

idk, i know after so many weeks they loose nutrition but thats the whole reason for me throwing them in the freezer. works with human food, why not bird food?

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

All my feed goes into my huge deep freeze, it will kill any of those little moths that get in the feed. It keeps the feed fresher.

6. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    thanks for the info! just what i wanted to know!

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    [​IMG] Leave it to me,,, I was thinking bread starter when I saw freezer and I was thinking "Hey,, what a great idea!"

8. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    lol! i wonder what other foods could be stored in there... fish food? freeze-dried reptile food? dog/cat food?
    i should just buy another freezer and call it the "animal feed freezer" to go along with the "meat freezer", the "berries freezer" and the "salmon and fish freezer"

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  9. ScrmnWoody

ScrmnWoody Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Whatcom County, WA
    Doesn't an air-tight bucket or other container keep the food fresh? That's my plan, anyway. Although, at the rate these 10 are eating it won't be an issue. They've gone through 25lbs in 10 days.

10. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    wow! you must have alot of birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by