Premium Feather Member
15 Years
May 14, 2008
North Phoenix
My Coop
My Coop
So I did two feed stores yesterday.

Told the gal at the stock shop I wanted starter MASH. ended up with crumble
Told the gal at the other store that sold medicated starter I wanted mash and she was upfront with me and said they don't do Mash.

What do you all use?

I've always used mash and they've done well.

Does it matter?

Sometimes I find people at the feed store that are knowledgeable and sometimes I don't. Usually nice people but......

I found for the first few days, I needed to put the crumbles in a blender to get the size smaller. They were picking out the smaller stuff and leaving the larger pieces behind. After about a week, mine then preferred the crumbles to the powder. I'd suggest letting them tell you if it is a problem by seeing if they leave anything behind.

In the past, the mash had larger particles and my chicks didn't do them so I fed them to the flock... who most times turned their nose up at it... now I MIX in chick leftovers.

Thanks for the blender Idea... that should be easy.

Last edited:
Around here crumbles are the same thing as mash. If you want it smaller, we grind ours in a coffee grinder (like for quail, as even gamebird crumbles are a bit big for them). Our standard size chicks do great on crumbles, but bantams get it ground down as well to ensure they get enough to eat.

Back
Top Bottom