starter or grower?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by afj6710, Jul 1, 2011.

1. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    My chicks range in age, i think, from about 1 month to 12 weeks. Would you do chick starter or grower feed? their feed right now is starter/grower [​IMG] but i didn't know if something else would be better.

2. CircleC

CircleC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I'm a brand new chick owner, but I bought the Dumor chick starter crumbles from TSC. It said safe for ducks, chickens, etc from 0-10 wks. I have a duck too.

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
  4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    You might want to consider flock raiser because your oldest are 2 months older than your youngest. Around 18 weeks I would offer free choice oyster shell for the older girls because will be laying soon and they will seek it out for the calcium. I have year+ olds and 10weekers in the same coop so flock raiser is what they get. I dont think you want to feed the younger ones layer before their time because of the calcium content in it. Once they start to lay you could switch back to layer,thats what I intended to do but now I might keep it they way I got it with flock raiser and freechoice oyster shell. It seems that they dont eat as much because the flock raiser is higher in protein and it cost the same.[​IMG]

One more thing [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:They don't offer Flock Raiser where I am...thus my response...but you are correct...offering the oyster shell for the older girls...

6. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Quote:They don't offer Flock Raiser where I am...thus my response...but you are correct...offering the oyster shell for the older girls...

I wonder why its not available in your area,the truck delivers the other feeds why not flock raiser? Have you ever asked if you could get it if needed?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  7. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    I leave my chicks on chick starter until they are about 3 months old then I put them on cracked corn to 6months old then layana from purina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by