Starter vs Layer

SheriLee

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Long Island New York
My chicks are almost 7 weeks and will be going into their coop within the next week. I recently ran out of chick starter and went to buy another bag of feed. I was told that they are of age to start Layer pellets, which I purchased. I have ground it up for them to eat, but now I think I need to go back to the starter as they are too young yet. Any advise?

They are leading you in the right direction. An average of 8 weeks then take them off the starter or finish up what you had and as you say, none left. From here you can go to poultry grower mash or lay mash. Pellets are pretty big even for 8 week olds in my books and having to crush up pellets is a pain...

I would go with grower mash first and after they start laying you can switch over to lay mash or continue with grower mash for a while longer Having as many birds as I do I use 3 mixes and combine as I see fit. I use grower mash,pellets and scratch, equal amounts of each.Some chickens get fussy with one feed but have the option of the other two feeds and all are satisfied.

That can be expensive in the long run so go with the grower mash. Others here may suggest a different regiment but I stick with what works... spoiled birds.... Have fun, your girls are at an interesting stage and the cutest stage in my books. Steve

Laying feed is for laying birds only and your girls have a ways to go. Layer has way too much calcium for them and it's not good. Stick with a non-medicated starter or grower until they are all laying. Around 18 weeks you may want to put out some oyster shell for calcium.

Thank you both for the information. I just ordered some grower feed online. The nursery where I bought the pellets from did not have any for sale. They will have to eat the layer food for a few days :-( Not happy about that, I hope that it won't affect them.

Back
Top Bottom