starting a 4-H project

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oneflmanatee, Jan 19, 2010.

1. oneflmanatee

oneflmanatee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Milton, FL
    I am wanting to get a 4-H project together for the summer with my 6 year-old son. I am wanting to get a few different old english bantam eggs. I know my sister has had a little bit of experience buying eggs and hatching them. Can anyone suggest what a normal price would be for me when I buy these eggs?

Any input would be great!

Thanks!

2. oneflmanatee

Mar 4, 2009
    Milton, FL
    I also accidently posted this under my sister's user ID, she was still logged into my computer. Please reply to this thread. I could not figure out how to delete the others.

3. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    First I would like to say that your son is not old enough for 4-H, he would be a cloverbud(this is in my area, I'm not sure if its the same near you). Second OEGBs are the worst beginner bird because in order to be shown they have to be dubbed, not many people know where to find someone that dubs. They can be shown as cockerals and not be dubbed, but they will be marked down. I raise OEGBs and can tell you I charge about 2.00-3.00 an egg, depending on color, amount etc. If you want something that looks like OE you should get Dutch because they are very similar and do not need dubbed.
    Hope that helped! Tamara
    I may have some Dutch available in a few weeks.

4. oneflmanatee

Mar 4, 2009
    Milton, FL
    Okay, I didn't mean to confuse you. I am not a novice and neither is my son. He has shown chickens in the past, but not all 4-H projects are about showing. We have some OEGB now, but I am interested in some different color varieties. As my signature states, I have 25 years experience. Not everyone that is new to the forum is new to chickens.

I am just wondering what to expect. I can order hatched chicks for $3 a piece and was wondering if eggs might be more cost effective.

Thanks.

5. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:oh, I am sorry I did not realize you have shown before, I apologize. You will get better stock if you get eggs, but if you don't care about SQ then you could get some neat colors from Ideal poultry. I again want to aplogize for being so straight forward with you, I am a bit on edge today. I do know many people who breed OE including myself that can help you. I more have birds right now because I am setting all my eggs so I won't be having any eggs available for awhile. Also if you want to hatch OE eggs you could contact Renegaderidge Farms. They have 23 colors.
    Thanks, Tamara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by