Starting a Backyard Hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Barnyard, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I was wondering how difficult it is to start a backyard hatchery? What all do I have to do? What are the requirments?

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

It depends on your state but the main thing will be with your insurance carrier. If they find out you are running a business from your house they can drop all your insurances. Other than that it just depends on your location, what you sell, how much you sale, and all that.

3. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Well I guess you could sell to neighbours and people you know but if you want to start a big business i think you have to get permission.
    Then you can make a website and stuff. Happy selling!

I like your Title. it is interesting.

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I think once you go from backyard status to business status you might also have to have some certifications for your flock regarding certain illnesses & such. I'll see if I can find the thread that has a link about it...

5. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:Thanks Lori. That is what I thought to, but my dh has it in his head that I need to start my own hatchery [​IMG] I am not sure how much of a demand I will have around my area. I know I can take the chicks to the auction's, but that just seems like alote of "extra" work.

6. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:Thanks, I plan on making some flyer's and handing them out and posting them in some of the local business's .

7. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Thanks Lori. That is what I thought to, but my dh has it in his head that I need to start my own hatchery [​IMG] I am not sure how much of a demand I will have around my area. I know I can take the chicks to the auction's, but that just seems like alote of "extra" work.

You might call your local Chamber of Commerce and see what the cost is for a business license. That might get you wholesale costs on feed.

You should probably also see if they can refer you to the person who would know what permits you'd need in your area for breeding & selling livestock.

And definitely call your insurance company to see how these things would impact your homeowners' coverage. I know running a small business is one thing, but having livestock is different.

I can see your husband's point, about how you could make your hobby into a small business. You're going to hatch too many birds anyway, right ( [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ) (I know, the whole pot/kettle thing)
    But, would it take the fun out of it for you? Would the effort be worth the return? Do you really have enough space? How much of a start-up investement would be required to really get things going? And is there a need for it in your area?

Lots to ponder. Have fun doing the leg work.
    I'll see if I can't find that gov link I saw the other day....

8. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
  9. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    If you have gamebirds to offer you will need to check with your local extention office or State Parks and Rec for licensing. I carry one for the state of Texas for having Quail. In Texas it isn't hard to obtain and the fee was only $25.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by