Starting a BDL Barnevelder Flock ... search for pure Johan, Peace of Thyme, Fossil Rock, or what ??

I D Farms

Chirping
7 Years
We currently have Sulmtalers and Bielefelders, and would like to add black double-laced Barnevelders to the stable. I'm impressed with the history of Johan van Achterberg's efforts at importing the birds, as well as the early pioneers Peace of Thyme, Fossil Rock, and others.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to establish a starting point for a closed flock. There will be no 'projects' or any color breeding other than the pure line of blacks, breeding selectively for its own traits. In choosing that starting point, what should I quest for ... finding a pure Johan flock for eggs/chicks/juveniles (dealing with the inherent inbreeding), or should I pick a starting point that has limited other lines, such as Peace of Thyme (vB line) or another breeder who has come up with a pure line of blacks? Basically, I guess what I'm asking is: is the Johan line the "Gold Standard" still, or has that standard evolved into something else now?

Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom