starting a broody hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mrs. K, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Had a broody hen, she raised a clutch in early June, and for the last week, she has been back in the nest. So I gave her a baker's dozen of dominique eggs..... might be a little late in the year, but she kept the last set of chicks with her til they were going on a solid 6 weeks old.

I want some of these dominiques, found a source with them close by, and what they heck, it is my hobby.

Mrs K

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You have me drooling. Dominique was my first choice for the backbone of my small back yard flock. Unfortunately, the hatchery I bought from this spring had a novice doing the sexing, and they sent me 3 cockrels. So, now I have to wait until next spring, and try to get my Dom pullets again. My 5 girls are doing well, and I can't wait to add some Doms. Of course my unrealistic dream would be for one of my girls to go broody in the spring, give her some fertile eggs to work on and slip some Dom chicks under her when her eggs are hatching... I know, dream on... the real world doesn't work that way!!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's not too late, those will be the hardiest, healthiest chicks you have!

And everyone needs a hobby. You know what they say about idle hands.......

I have a hen who's flirting with being broody, and I'm having to talk very hard to myself not to tempt her. I'm really not in a position to have more babies, I'm maxed out on space and rooster heavy already. Need to sweet-talk my honey into butchering without me. My leukemia doctor already doesn't like me drinking my well water, I can imaging his horror were I to help slaughter animals [​IMG]

So, no more chicks for me this year.

4. Mrs. K

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    she is on tight as a tick..... Should sneak down in the night and candle the eggs, but the mosquitoes are so bad!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My best broody is at it again. I tried and tried to talk myself out if it---you're sick, you're short on space, etc. Then I put 5 green eggs under her [​IMG]. I justified it by figuring I'd be home when the chicks hatch, and honey's said he'll process the extra roosters in the main pen, which will allow me to move the teenagers from the broody's pen (her last hatch is still in with her) to the main pen. Where there's a will........[​IMG]

6. Mrs. K

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    oh Donrae, we got that chicken math bad!!!!

Looks like I am about a week ahead of you!

Mrs K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by