1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

starting a coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mschick111, Apr 18, 2011.

1. mschick111

mschick111 New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    Hello Friends:)

Im actually new here and it would be my great pleasure to meet you guys.

I actually need enlightenment.
    We are planning to have a coop.
    Could you please help me how to start?
    What are the things I need to know first?

Thank you.

2. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    [​IMG] I think the most important thing is to go bigger than you think you need...Make sure you have enough room for the birds you want to have and provide plenty of PROPER ventilation. (A draft is not proper ventilation.) Patandchickens has a wonderful ventilation page you should read. There are many nice coops on here to review so research a little. One of my favorite threads was "What would you change with your coop" type thread and it was very interesting to hear the things that didn't work or they didn't like. If I have the link I'll post it for you. Good luck and HAVE FUN!

3. mschick111

mschick111 New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    oh thank you so much....
    i will do my research too...
    please send me the link as well

thank you so much:)

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Best advice is read everything on this website! Then you will be prepared. [​IMG]

5. NattiFan

NattiFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Plainfield, CT
    This site is a great place to start...and great to fall back on once you get going. So read up, ask a lot of questions, and yes, go bigger than you think you need. Or you will be doing what i'm doing now, and be kicking yourself in the butt the spring of your second year because you want more girls, but don't have a big enough coop [​IMG]

6. lamNervousNellie

lamNervousNellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

Honestly though, there is a TON of wonderful information here, just beware since you're new.. you will be overwhelmed!!! The best thing to know is that there are always amazing people here who are willing to help you through any crisis you may face along the way [​IMG]

[​IMG] you're going to love it here!

This is a great place to look and get some inspiration! https://www.backyardchickens.com/coopdesigns.html

7. lamNervousNellie

lamNervousNellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by