Starting a hatch the week of Oct 29th! Who's with me?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SymanSaysFarms, Oct 16, 2012.

1. SymanSaysFarms

SymanSaysFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    We are SO excited to have put an order in to The Garry Farm for 24+ hatching eggs! I'm hoping they will be here for the week of October 29th. The incubator is ready, as are the kids! Is anyone else out there putting eggs in their bator around Halloween?

Oh, we're expecting to receive 6 lavendar orpingtons, 6 Lavendar amercaunas, 6 Speckled Sussex, and 6 Marans!

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Lavender Orpingtons!...I want to get some of those next spring........

3. SymanSaysFarms

Oct 16, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    It's been on my "must have" list for at least a year [​IMG]

4. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    I think they look awesome...

5. SymanSaysFarms

Oct 16, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    We just got confirmation that our eggs will be shipped the week of the 29th! We'll be setting up the bator on Sunday to give it a week to acclimate to the room we put it in. This will be our first hatch. I've done my research and "think" I know what I'm doing but PLEASE feel free to leave any pointers you have here. Greatly appreciated!!!

6. coops gone crazy

coops gone crazy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2012
    Just ordered 8+ wheaten/blue wheaten eggs from Ray_n_Debi and hoping to pick up some BCM hatching eggs at the Oregon fall poultry swap the 27th so I guess I am in. Test driving the bator today- holding good at 99.5-100 with 48% humidity. Dang addictive little chickens. :)

7. SymanSaysFarms

Oct 16, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    Yay!!! I love wheatens!

I hear ya! We are now on a time crunch to get the new coop started/completed by the time this batch of chicks out-grow their brooder. Right now it seems like we have plenty of time but I have to remember I'm 6 months pregnant and have 2 other boys this time around :)

8. coops gone crazy

Jan 4, 2012
    Yikes. You are going to be busy! I'm trying to figure out how/we will need to juggle our groups too. Have some that are about 5-6 weeks old right now & a few adults (we lost most of them 6 weeks ago when something broke in to the run). Guess I forgot to say the are wheaten ameraucanas.

9. SymanSaysFarms

Oct 16, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your losses! That's my worst nightmare! How did the predator get in? Do you know what it was?

Yes, lots going on here [​IMG] For us, we are building a new coop right next to our existing one and their runs will have a shared wall (meaning they will be able to see each other and, hopefully, get used to each other before we open the run up to one big area for everyone... probably when the babies are around 18-20 weeks) Depending on how it goes, it may be sooner though.

10. coops gone crazy

Jan 4, 2012
    We didn't realize that the burried chicken wire for the run had corroded. I think it was the neighbors dog but can't prove a thing. He has done it before. Now it has much heavier guage fencing.

Put the eggs in the incubator last night. Received 11 (sale was for 8)- 1 wheaten was cracked, 8 fine. They threw in 2 Lavendar Ameraucana eggs as well. The eggs were a very pale blue- hoping it is just due to the late season. Guess we will see what we get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by