Starting a layer farm

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Fstmkt, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Fstmkt

Fstmkt New Egg

Aug 6, 2014
    I am interested in starting a layer farm, but have very little experience...can someone recommend a consultant that can walk me through the process? Thanks.

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You should check out out learning center. There is tons of info there that can help get you started.

Good luck!

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I don't personally know any consultants to walk you through the process, but you might want to check out the article by Wendy Bedwell-Wilson at http://www.hobbyfarms.com/farm-marketing-and-management/how-to-start-egg-business.aspx on How to Start a Successful Egg Business That Makes You Money. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your layer farm started.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Definitely stop by our learning center. Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Good luck with this new venture you are starting and feel free to ask any questions you may have along the way. Welcome to our flock!

6. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    There are lots of resources to help you with this, check with your county ag extension office or the ag department at your state university. IMO, this is not an easy business to get started in, even if you have a lot of experience. Be prepared for some pretty grim assessments of the feasibility and economics of your endeavor. Joining the big guys with a new factory farm is going to be tough. Going small is not easy either, you need to scale up to get any positive cash flow.

I do this as hobby and expect to lose money, obviously you can't be so cavalier about the money side of things.

7. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

8. Fstmkt

Fstmkt New Egg

Aug 6, 2014
    Thanks for the information. My plans are to do a free range organic layer farm.

9. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You could try a local thread. If you go under where am I where are you, you should be able to find it. Maybe someone will know a consultant in your area or have advice based on your location.

10. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    That changes things a lot. "commercial" consultants and universities are going to be of limited help. I bet there are books you could read. Also, checkout the website for Whitmore Farm in Thurmont MD. They do some of what you are planning. They offer internships too, if that has any appeal for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by