Starting a Muscovy Duck Club

Cheapchicksfarm

Songster
9 Years
Sep 23, 2010
If you have been following the other post on Muscovy ducks being underground ducks you have seen that there is a need for a club but I am not sure where to start so please if you have ideas share them here
big_smile.png

I have no idea about clubs, how they are run or what to do but I would certainly join a Muscovy club.

I know a mission statement is important and guidelines. Surely with Muscovy being shown there is a standard to work towards. Maybe check with the APA?

Last edited:
The fish and wildlife service is trying to get rid of the feral Muscovy and some have suggested they ban ownership of domestic ones and make it so you have to have permits and such that is outrageous so we need a group that can fight for our rights to own these sweet creatures if they decide to come after them again.

I have read the new laws and it is not illegal to show raise hatch or sell muscovies they revised their write up of the law after they found out that people showed them and had them as pets BUT if you release some on a pond or elsewhere your in trouble.

Here is a link to a FWS question and answer sheet it says there are no permits needed and they are not illegal at this time but could change at any time.

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/NewRe … 1-2010.pdf

We need to ban together and start a club that can fight for our right to own these birds just in case they decide to change their currant ruling The silent have no rights so we need to be heard so they cannot ignore us They said in the law write up that there was no Muscovy breeders group for them to inform when they decided to make the law in the first place We must change that!!!!!!!!!

I suggest a free club for any who own breed or just love this amazing creature it will need a website with a list of our supporters, a breeders list, lots of pictures of all of the amazing colors, a facts page and links to other pages or websites who support muscovies.

We can have fun with this club in the mean time make it a valuable resource for breeders and hobbiest and if the time comes we will be ready to voice our options on any new laws.

So if you have suggestions on how to start the club or what it should include please post
big_smile.png

Quote:
There is a standard in place but only 4 colors are recognized Black,White Chocolate and Blue maybe in a few years we could work to have more colors added but we need to going first for now we could post the standard.

Our mission to promote the muscovy because they are awesome
lau.gif
Okay so that needs work.

I guess I can write to other breed clubs and ask for advice

Great ideas!

Would we call it "Muscovy Club of North America"?

I have plenty of photos of my bunch and I am sure a lot of folks would add photos. Fact sheet I am no help on except for laying and days of incubation and a few characteristics.

I do websites and can put one together with a PHP message board very easily and quickly. If you give me a color scheme, and what you all want on it, I can have it up in less then a week.
I can also add the auto member thing and e-mail news letters etc, so figure out what features you all want as well. I also design tool bars and can make a tool bar with sites links to important Muscovy news. I can also put an inline chat feature in the tool bar that when another member is on, you can if you like chat live or send them a message, even off line messages.

Just something to think about.

Let me know.

Cheapchicksfarm keeps posting these great links, I think we need to compile them on the website so people have easy access to Muscovy info and the latest news.

I have looked for months for any ANY Muscovy club here in the US or any poultry club that will anwer questions about Muscovy.. NONE.. just NONE.. so yes.. we need this.

Back
Top Bottom