Starting a new flock/introducing chickens.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by halfbakedtulip, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Hello! I just want to thank everyone who has helped me these last 2 days with my chicken rescue questions :) Tomorrow our coop is arriving. I have also located a small hen to go with our small banty who is currently in the dog kennel (Dont panic it was only overnight!)

My question...this is a new coop and both chickens are "new" How do I go about putting them both in? Should I put them both in at the same time, put Banty in first and then the other a few hours later? They don't know each other or us so how does one do this when there is no original resident?

Thank you so much!

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Actually I'd give them as much space, with hiding places and two sources of food and water, for the introduction, plus distract them with a snack, flock block, hanging cabbage, or something of the sort. An alternate approach, though, is to put them on the roost early in the night and hope they get accustomed to each other's presence while asleep. here is a good thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/803815/integrating-two-groups/0_20

3. Thank you so much Flockwatcher! It will be about 6 pm by the time we have the coop set up and the other hen arrives. It will be dark here. My only concern is for Banty who has never had a perch. Keep everything crossed for me...it is going to be a loooong night for this Momma:)

4. I am happy to say that both chickens are happily sleeping in their coop. I put Banty in first and she immediately went to one of the nesting boxes and went to sleep. The other new hen came a short time later and just stood beside the perch for a looong time so I put her up on it. All is very quiet so while I will keep checking on them I think things will be quiet until the morning.

Thank you all so very much!

5. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by