Starting a new flock- is this a good mix?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ckelley, Sep 20, 2016.

1. ckelley

ckelley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    Hello,

I had Chickens for about a year and love, love, loved them. They were just feed store chickies, and I had 12 of them.

We moved in March and I had to re-home them, but now I'm able to start over.

I placed an order from Meyer Hatchery (Delivered mid October) for 3 Easter Eggers, 2 Dominique, and 3 Black Copper Marans. I've read that the marans can be somewhat aggressive? Is this combination going to work well? They will have plenty of room. I would love to have dozens, but city codes and all.....

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. AmandaMBG

AmandaMBG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    Southern Utah
    If you read the breed description for Marans they are known to be some of the most gentle dual purpose breeds. I've seen posts over and over by the same person claiming they are mean. Only 1 person on multiple threads. Everyone else I've read with experience in them said they are gentle. I have two cuckoo and they are two of the most gentle in my mixed flock. One is actually a lap chicken. Her name is Marge. And my guess is the Dominques will be around the same gentle temperament. My belated Dom Roo was a sweet heart. Any chickens will be mean if there isn't enough space. So make sure you have 4 sq ft coop space per bird and at least 10sq ft run space and you should be good to go. May I add my EE Lady is top hen out of 12. They are mutts so temperament can vary a lot with them. You are going to love your girls!! I think you got some of the two best breeds. Dom and Marans are just plain awesome birds.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  3. ckelley

ckelley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    I did read the breed description, and have followed the BCM forum for enthusiasts. Honestly, the forum seemed geared more toward honoring breed standard and was very informative, but I didn't find much for beginners for me, but I'm sure that when I learn more it will make more sense.

Anyway... I have read things on other sites about their aggression, but if it is like you say and it's just a few squeaky wheels, then I'm not going to worry about it. [​IMG]

There will always be a few bossy hens regardless of breed. My last flock was mixed and I had two bannies that were at the bottom of the pecking order, poor things. They were also very skittish and not people friendly. I just wanted to get a mixed flock of well tempered hens. I have a two and nine year old, who love them and think they are the best cuddle buddies.

[​IMG]

Thank you for responding. I'm sure this question or similar are asked all the time.

4. AmandaMBG

AmandaMBG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    Southern Utah
    Np I'm not an expert or anything but I have a broad mix and my birds get along great. My daughters only 19 months. They grow up so darn fast!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by