1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starting a new flock. Marans or Welsummers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TxAg11, Mar 29, 2017.

1. TxAg11

TxAg11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Several months ago a dog got into my back yard and wiped out most of our flock. Since then we have been fortifying and we are about ready to start anew.

We had 11 hens in all of various breeds (2 Gold sexlinks, 3 Amer/EE's, 1 Wyandotte, 1 Dominicker, 1 Australorp, 1 Buff Orp, 1 White Brahma, 1 RIR).

I found that our most prolific layers and best mannered hens were the Ameraucana's and golden sexlinks.
    With our new flock I'm going to stick mostly to gold/black sexlinks (2 of each) and Ameraucana's. I do want 1-2 hens that lays the dark chocolate brown eggs, though. We live in Houston so it can get pretty hot.

I'm torn between the Copper Maran's and Welsummers. Do y'all have any experience or advice between these two breeds? I'm planning on getting 1-2 dark egg layers, but I just can't decide which breed will do best in our climate. A local breeder carries all varieties, so I'll be starting them all out as 3 mo/ old pullets together.
    Any advice would be most welcome

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I don't have Welsummers, but I do like that you can get Marans in different colors. I have Wheaten, Blue Copper and Splash Copper, and will be adding a Golden Cuckoo eventually. If all he has is Black Copppers then I would go with the Welsummer probably, as I find the black coppers boring looking and perhaps the clean legs of the Welsummer are better in the heat anyway, though I can't say for sure.

3. mcstewartchick

mcstewartchick Just Hatched

I just started a new flock and I have two Welsummer chicks and one Cuckoo Maran. I can't speak to the weather hardiness questions and others you have, but I've found that out of those three chicks the Maran is much flightier and a little wacky compared to the Welsummers. They're still very young so time will tell. :)

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Were they from a hatchery or a breeder?

5. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Welsummers are fine in our Heat....and they lay dark eggs....not as dark as a FBCM...but dark enough IMO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by