1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starting a new flock

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by big greg barker, Oct 26, 2008.

1. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    So anyway, I haven't had chickens in 15 years and the first experience was poorly planned and harmful to the birds. I want to do it right this time. How big a coop should I build for 25 stanard breed birds? I'm only planning to overwinter about a dozen. I also want to divide so I can rotate layers every 2nd or 3rd year. I have time as I won't start the new flock until April. Also, any suggestions on where to buy day olds? I want all pullets, as I live in a somewhat urban area now.

2. SSO202

SSO202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Hartwood, VA 22406
    [​IMG]

You have found probably the best forum on the internet to ask your questions. There is varying answers on space per bird, but most will say between 2 and 4 sq ft. per bird. There are plenty of online companies at your fingertips that will allow you to order any number of chicks and specify your gender request. Good Luck!

3. SSO202

SSO202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Hartwood, VA 22406
    I don't have experience with any of the companies, but others have ordered from the sponsors of this website and I haven't heard any complaints. Check them out...ideal poulty, randall burkey, mcmurray hatchery and the others. Good Luck!

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Personally I wouldn't try doing it with much less than a 10x10 coop (or other equivalent with that sort of square footage). Plus a good sized run. That'll give your dozen more room over the winter, always a plus during bad weather, and if you are going to sometimes have 2 dozen it'll make sure you always have reasonable room for them without squishing up and asking for trouble.

Although, that said, I think they look a whole big lot happier with even more room than that -- mine have 8-15 sq ft per chicken indoors, plus their run, and they really do act differently than when they've had to be squished into more like 4-6 sq ft per chicken (which in turn is still up to twice what some folks allow...). So there is a certain amount you have to decide for yourself what your priorities are.

Lots of mail-order hatcheries will sell you sexed orders (all pullets) for most (not all) standard sized breeds, so that shouldn't be a problem. You may still get a roo or two in the bunch - they do not guarantee 100% accuracy.

Welcome to byc, have fun planning [​IMG],

Pat

5. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    Thanks, I was planning on a 12 X8 and I have room to make a run of about500 sq ft. under some big oak trees. I just have to figure out how to protect them from the hawks that live along the river. I did see that someone in the postings had used some fishing net they got off ebay. I can probably get some seeing I live close to the coast

6. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I also live on a river - with hawks. I found that deer netting makes decent cover for a run at about a quarter of the price of "poultry net". Its tighter weave keeps wild birds out, too. That's a plus.
    I have 24 birds in a 12 x 14 shed with a 10 x 30 run. It is nice & roomy for them. They seem happy.
    Happy planning. You'll have fun looking at all the great coop photos on this site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by