Starting a new garden

christopherkey

Hatching
Sep 1, 2020
Hey guys I just moved to a house with no garden. What are some tips you guys have for starting a garden from scratch? I mean I’ll be cutting up the sod and everything. Also when do you plant rhubarb? Spring? Thanks guys.

First you do need to include your General Climate Location. Peeps giving advice will vary on where you live. We don;t need your address, just City, or State, Or even just Country. If you feel privacy concerns, then just lie about location, and give some other City that has about same climate/weather.
Rhubarb can be planted in fall, or right now, if you get started plants. In spring you can plant Rhubarb from seeds. Don't expect seeds to mature into eatable stalks first year of growth.
You may enjoy this particular Gardening thread, that is very active, and loaded with tons of information. There are over 25K posts. Scan thru some, and join the group with questions there.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-did-you-do-in-the-garden-today.670277/page-2567
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

We did that years ago: dug up Sod and put in a garden. At that time, we lived in Cincinnati, zone 6b. Don’t plant root veg the first year bc there are nematodes common in grass areas, that will damage the root veg and they will be full of holes and nematodes! Yes, we were entertained by the uniquely wriggly carrots, but we had read about that potential before planting root veg.

get a soil sample so you know what you are dealing with. You can take samples from the area you are considering, send to a lab for analysis. My county ag extension office had soil sample packets -I buy the packet then follow instructions to sample soil, fill out form and package/mail it to the lab address on the envelope in packet. Easy enough and told me a lot.

start with a smaller selection of veg so as not to be overwhelmed, and follow spacing directions on the seed packet.

Back
Top Bottom