Starting a new schoolyard hatch Tuesday with a Hovabator 1586.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fireorlime, Feb 11, 2012.

1. fireorlime

fireorlime New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    Hi all,

We're starting a new hatch Tuesday with a local farmers' chicken eggs using the Hovabator 1586 and an automatic turner. Neither of us (teachers) have any experience working with chickens, but we've done as much research as we can. We'd like to document the process of chick development with our scholars so that we can show what they've learned at the end of the process.

If someone could take a bit of time to answer a few questions for us, it'd be very helpful:

1) What's the best method for getting the humidity inside the device correct?

2) Is there any really reliable hatching plan that we could find online?

3) Any general tips, tricks, etc. that we should be aware of for our first hatch?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    You will need a hygrometer to track your humidity. I use an acurite from walmart that cost about 15 dollars I think and it works fine as long as you calibrate it. Just do a search on this forum and you should find several posts on the calibration.
    If your getting your eggs from a local source that should help with your hatch.Also if your are going to store the eggs it will help if they are stored in an egg carton pointy side down in a cooler room with one end of the carton elevated. The end of the egg carton that is elevated needs to changed about three times a day this will keep the membrane from sticking to the shell and will also let the air sack settle in case of rough handling. I usually let my eggs rest for 12 -24 hours before I set them and have had good luck doing it that way.
    As far as the incubation goes just shoot for a temp of 99.5 if your incubator has a fan or 101 if its a still air model. Don't panic if the temp varies a little thats normal and will be ok. Now as for humidity thats a different story, everyone probably does it a little different to meet the needs of their area. I lean towards the dry incubation levels and try to keep mine between 25-35% for the first 18 days and then raise to about 60-65 for lock down.This works well for me and I average 80-85% hatch rates but it may not be best for you in your area.
    The one thing I think that helps is to maybe candle three times max maybe days 5-6 ,10-11, and at lock down on day 18. It seems like the less I fuss with the eggs the better my hatch rate. I candle on days 10 and 18.
    If you can try and get some advice from some one who uses a hovabator as they may know more about the temperment of those bators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by