Starting a second coop - new pics! Almost done!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NickyPick, Feb 5, 2012.

1. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Well, last month I pulled my change basket out and started counting. Came up with $715, so I decided the best thing to do with this "rainy day" money was to build another coop and get some more Brahmas! Heh.

The goal with this one is to get it to look like a playhouse, so that when this house gets sold, it can be easily cleaned and converted if the new people don't want chickens. We've located it about 50 feet from the barn, on the other side of the wash rack and in front of the swing set. I think it's a good location.

First step: putting in the blocks with short posts and getting them level.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (the camera is tilted, not the build!)

Once we got the floor down, I gave it a quick 2 coats of an outdoor semi-gloss paint.

[​IMG]

Right after this, the rain started and has lasted about a week. We got the wall frames done in the garage:
    [​IMG]

Then, started putting them all together on the base.

[​IMG]

This puts us at a stopping point for now. Got to get back to office work and Dad is studying up on how to do a roof correctly. The dimensions are 6X6X8 and with it being so tall and skinny, I'm really fighting the urge to paint it up like the TARDIS!!!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

THAT would be a hoot!!!

Great work so far.

3. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Just let us know when you figure out how to make it bigger on the inside than on the outside. ;)

4. NickyPick

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Man, wouldn't that be a fantastic way to deal with Chicken Math!

5. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    I absolutely want a second coop, so jealous! Looks like it's going to be beautiful. Have fun! [​IMG]

6. NickyPick

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Got a bit more done this weekend. Put up the roof frame, wired the windows and got half the walls up. It's really starting to take shape!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We put the wire on the outside and then the plywood will cover it. The opposite of how I did it on the last coop.

[​IMG]

I'm hopeful that I'll be putting up siding and painting by next weekend!

7. NickyPick

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    It's a little disheartening not to get may comments on my new coop, but I'll keep posting the progress anyway. At least it gives me a way to show my co-workers what we're doing.

So, got the roof and a couple more wall panels up before the rain started (almost 3 inches overnight!!) I had painted these, front and back, in the garage before we put them up and it is SO much easier painting on saw horses than up on a ladder, so I think I'm going to do the rest this way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a close up of the top triangle. We're going to leave it open. It's SE Texas, so we have more to worry about with heat and humidity than cold. Green is outside and yellow is inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the year olds, wondering when they'll get to go out and play in the mud.

[​IMG]

8. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

no comments simply indicate jealousy.

looks fabulus

RobertH

9. beefmaster

beefmaster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    your new henhouse looks great.keep up the good work.

10. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Great Coop love the Tardis idea.....LOL. Hey I have some questions. I am wanting to put a roof on my coop for quite some time now. Do you get much wind in your area? What is the material you are using to cover the peak? I would LOVE to get rid of the Big tarp I use.

deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by