1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starting a silkie breeding program from "scratch".

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jferlisi, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ok so i have 4 silkies, 1 splash roo, 2 black hens and a white hen. I have breed them a few times and out of the white i have hatched a few blue partridge and out of the blacks i have hatched blue and blue partridge and one partridge. I would like to start a program of my own from what i have and grow from that and slowly increase the quality of mine. I dont want to buy eggs from someone who has worked hard to create nice birds then take there credit, so for me buying show quality hatching eggs is out of the equation. I want to do a blue/black pen and a partridge pen with my blues. ATM i dont have the money to buy the standard for silkies so im going to have to work with what i can learn from you all untill i can buy it. So i would like to get some helpful advice from you all-knowing silkie breeders =D.

My roo (splash) is non-bearded and has a reddish comb. When breeding him to my bearded black hen (Fluff), i know the beard will be small, but will the color of his comb negatively effect the chicks? I figure there will be some lightening that i can slowly breed for the black. My other black hen (Dior) is non-bearded and has a single comb. So far non of the non-bearded chicks have a single comb. Will that gene slowly work its way out?
    Sorry about the essay and thanks ahead of time. =D

(Vivienne)
    [​IMG]

(Dior)
    [​IMG]

(Fluff)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    By any chance do you sell your non-standard qualit silkies?

3. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Clucky, right now we are selling chicks. All three of our hens have babies as you can see in the pictures, those we taken over the weekend.

4. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    Are they sexed? Also is there possibility of shipping (tough with babies though i suppose)

5. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    No they aren't but out of my 6 three week old blues i have i believe 3-4 cockerels. Also i have never shipped a bird or eggs.

6. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by