Starting A Small Chicken Business

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by RoosterBoy24, Nov 28, 2014.

1. RoosterBoy24

RoosterBoy24 New Egg

Nov 19, 2014
    Johnston County
    Hello everyone!
    I am starting this thread to get your guys' opinion on starting a small "chicken business"! I have some breeds that I am breeding so that I can hatch out the eggs and sell the chicks. I currently only have 1 incubator (Little Giant Still Air Incubator) that I have pretty much mastered. I also have a few eggs in it right now that I am hoping to hatch out and sell!
    The breeds that I would be offering are:
    Red Turkens (Standard) - $3 ea.
    Barred Rocks (Bantams) - $2 ea.
    Black Cochins (Bantams) - $2 ea.
    Buff Silkies (Bantams) - $2 ea.
    Miniature Silver Appleyards (Bantam-Duck) - $12 ea.

I would like to hatch out the eggs from these breeds and sell them to make a little bit of extra money. If any of you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it! I included the prices that I would be selling these breeds for also! Thanks again!!

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
  2. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    I would think you could get a bit more than your asking for the bantams. I paid $5/chick for my silkies. Turkens are also usually more expensive. I'd ask at least $5 for the Turkens and $3-$4 each for the bantams.

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    What you can get is going to depend upon where you live. What's the going rate on CL and can you even find the breeds you want to offer? I think you are under priced but that just my market. You are also underselling hatcheries and feed stores.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by