Starting AmproMed (amprolium), but double checking that there is no age/weight restrictions

crossties

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2015
East Texas
One sweet girl lost 8 grams in the past couple of days, and for the last 24 hours has pretty much just stood still and puffed out. She has been napping in our laps, wrapped up in a towel and kept warm, and we are keeping her hyrdrated. She still gets bursts of "Did someone get a treat and I didn't?" speed, but mostly she stands still, and she doesn't protest when we pick her up. (although she cuddles and never did much, anyway)

I am going off the many charts folks have left here (thank you for this wonderful resource!) but I just wanted to double check that there is no restriction for age or weight because this is going into the general waterer. (Right?) We have one little fella that is only 60grams, and the rest are 130-160+ grams, and I won't even try to figure out their age ranges. I know with my dogs and cat and kids there was always a weight consideration for meds.

Last edited:
One sweet girl lost 8 grams in the past couple of days, and for the last 24 hours has pretty much just stood still and puffed out. She has been napping in our laps, wrapped up in a towel and kept warm, and we are keeping her hydrated. She still gets bursts of "Did someone get a treat and I didn't?" speed, but mostly she stands still, and she doesn't protest when we pick her up. (although she cuddles and never did much, anyway)

I am going off the many charts folks have left here (thank you for this wonderful resource!) but I just wanted to double check that there is no restriction for age or weight because this is going into the general waterer. (Right?) We have one little fella that is only 60grams, and the rest are 130-160+ grams, and I won't even try to figure out their age ranges. I know with my dogs and cat and kids there was always a weight consideration for meds.
Same for any age/size, no less than 1.5 teaspoons 20% amprolium powder per gallon for 5-7 days.

-Kathy

ok, my AmproMed bag says that to prepare dosage level of .012%, I dissolve 10 oz (the whole bag) in 1 gallon.
That is a LOT more than your notes.

help?

ok, my AmproMed bag says that to prepare dosage level of .012%, I dissolve 10 oz (the whole bag) in 1 gallon.
That is a LOT more than your notes.

help?
No, don't do that! trust me, it's 1.5 teaspoons per gallon. 1.5 teaspoons actually works out to .024%, which is what you want for a severe outbreak of coccidiosis.

-Kathy

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

-Kathy

hmm, my reply didn't go through.
Yeah, I was reading over your link again... numbers make my head hurt. I finally found the little mention of the "Makes 1 gallon of stock solution" which is the concentrated formula. smh.

anyhow, thank you! I am glad someone caught my error... this science experiment has taken on a life of its own!

Back
Top Bottom