Starting Breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The-Pollo-Club, Mar 4, 2013.

1. The-Pollo-Club

The-Pollo-Club New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    Marietta, GA
    Hello,
    I'm new to BYC (Chicken Newbie here) [​IMG], chickens were just legalized in my area [​IMG], and I was wondering what were some great starting breeds. Here are some qualities I would like to have in a chicken.
    Qualities:
    -Docile
    -Calm (Not Noisy)
    -Good Layer
    -Sweet
    -Tame
    -Hardy in Winter
    I am getting my chicks from MyPetChicken.com, and I hope to figure out which breeds to get soon! If there are any breeds that you think that match these qualities I would greatly appreciate it if you would list them below. [​IMG]

Sincerely,
    The-Pollo-Club [​IMG][​IMG]

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Sounds like you need a Brahma[​IMG].

3. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    I'd agree with the Brahma recommendation. They're a great breed. One thing to keep in mind is get what appeals to you looks wise. You can work with your birds and tame them down if you get flighty ones. Another thing to keep in mind is if you get birds from a hatchery, by and large the birds may be lacking "breed characteristics" including size and personality because they've been bred with little save egg production in mind. If you can find a local breeder, or a breeder on here that can ship, you might have better luck getting a bird that lives up to its breed reputation.

No matter what enjoy the hobby and have fun, that's what it's all about.

Edit: to include more breeds, Cochin, Langshan, Wyandotte, Favorelle would all fit your profile as well.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    Rhode island reds are some of my sweetest chickens. THey are vvery curious and will jump right into your arms. not to mention an egg a day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by