1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

starting chicken farm

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicken Rob, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Chicken Rob

Chicken Rob Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    not sure were to ask this , but does anybody no what needs to be done to qualify for a farm . i have been looking for regulations but havent found any . not sure who to even contact . i am in maine with 60 hens and meat birds. and does it help any way if u are a farm? thanks

2. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    Check with your local county/township about their regulations. They will be able to tell you about rules and regulations in your area. They should also be able to give you information about starting a farm.

3. WildBurroShirts.com

WildBurroShirts.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    [​IMG] (carefully places witness protection mask on)

ahhhhhhhhh, not that I'm ADVOCATING breaking the law or anything.

But if you already have the birds? Might be good to call from NOT your own home phone and use an address...a bit down the block from you...when you ask???

Kind of like 'don't ask, don't tell'? Because if they say "nope, you're not zoned for that, you've got 5 days to get rid of those filthy cheeekuns"...what're ya gonna do?

(sssshhhh. I didn't really say this.)

4. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    One is you must be 10 acres or more. Under 10 that you are a hobby farm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by