Starting chicks,Duck and Geese together

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenman, Apr 16, 2007.

1. chickenman

chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2007
    Texas
    Is it ok to start chick,ducks and Geese together?

2. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    No. It is not a good idea to raise them together. The chicks will die being squished or get hypothermia from the mess the ducks and goslings will make.

So if you have these all together now I would suggest you get seperate quarters. Ducklings tend to play in the water at about 8 days old. Thats where the mess comes in.

Chicks need a dry environment. And goslings just plain grow fast. LOL

Good Luck

Arklady

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  3. chickenman

chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2007
    Texas
    so ducks and goslings are ok together?

4. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    The rule I go by is chicks with chicks, ducks with ducks, goslings with goslings, sheep... etc...

See?

Its just that goslings grow so fast. They tend to be bossy and hog the food probably at first you could, but it wouldn't be long before you seperate them.
    Say temporary meaning like 10 days?

Other wise I would have to say no...

Also geese and ducks can be outside much sooner than chicks. When you see lots of white down under the yellow fuzz they can go into a protected area outside like a chicken tractor. As soon as mine had that down, I had my ducks/geese in a pen with a leanto. The leanto protected them from the worst of the weather like hail and such till they were too big for the pen then I turned them into a larger area. But they do make a mess. Once ducks and geese have feathered bottoms you need a place big enough for a kiddy pool like you get at wallyworld.

good luck...

Arklady

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by