Starting Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rachlore, Feb 18, 2013.

1. rachlore

rachlore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Southern US
    Hey, my family has finally been convinced to get chickens and we are really debating on coops. We like the garden coops that grow flowers or herbs on the top and have the actual chicken coop on the bottom. Nothing too big because the coop is going to have to be placed between the garage and fence, but they would have to have enough room to feed inside the coop and run around. We have a large garden with my lovely strawberries so i do not think free range is an option. The area is about a 6ft by 15ft area and we're planning to put up mesh fences on the sides of the garage to allow the chickens a small run. I'm just wondering if yall have some good coop suggestions that seem to fit our requirements. Thanks so much!

2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    I am not a big fan of the terra top coops. They are nice looking and I guess they can be OK for flowers. The liner needs to be leak free and have proper drainage. They can be a headache if they are not done well. I would consider fencing in your garden if you can. I have had strawberry gardens in the past and I made removable screens over the plants. This kept birds and rabbits away. Perhaps if you post pictures of your area it may help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by