Starting from Scratch....Columbian Cochin Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Huny, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    I am new to the world of breeding and hoping to develop some columbian cochins. Yes, I know there are some already beautiful birds out there, but where I am it is just too expensive for me to get a few birds shipped to me.

I have an entire flock of columbian Rock bantams here, and quite frankly Way too many roos. I was thinking about getting some White Cochin Pullets and putting them together. I know I would lose some feathering on the feet, but would the coloring come through alright? I would breed back in the feathering on the feet after I got color correct.

Am I going about genetics all wrong?

2. Huny

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    Anyone?

3. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Dude, it's gonna take longer than 3 minutes.

4. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:[​IMG] For real.

Huny, there's a pretty extensive discussion on the Columbian gene here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=150574

It
    started as a topic about Ameraucanas, but the genetics discussion regarding the Columbian gene would apply to Cochins as well.

Have you contacted msbear here on the forum? She has bantam Columbian Cochins. I don't know if she sells eggs or not, but if she does, that may be a more affordable option for you. It would certainly be a lot quicker than creating them yourself (though I imagine that would be fun, too). [​IMG] Good luck!

5. Huny

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    Quote:LOL It was posted exactly 12 hours and 3 minutes ago, not 3 minutes!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  6. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland

[​IMG] That's what we get for not paying attention to the AM and PM....

7. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal

LOLZ! sorry. [​IMG]

8. Huny

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    I read through that columbian thread but since they are dealing with Ameracaunas I think they will have a harder time breeding OUT the other colors. I am figuring that since we are sorta working with a "blank slate" of the white cochin up against the Columbian Rock Father, we could reach that color sooner...

9. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I was thinking of breeding white cochins with my columbians to improve cushion and every experienced cochin breeder said absolutely not.... that I would ruin them. Im no genetic guru but apparently white covers other colors... And when you're dealing with a pattern, white will severly mess it up. You would have to go back and fourth.. bringing in the columbian rock repeatedly to bring back your pattern. Then put those birds back to the crosses and hope for a recessive gene.

Hopefully, someone with more info will chime in but I think you're looking at a dozen generations or more to get anywhere.

10. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    It depends on whether white in cochins is dominant white, recessive white, or both. Araucanas, for instance, can be either -- but some breeds have only one or the other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by