1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starting from zero! Hoping to have 3-5 chickens one day

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KtsTots, Jan 28, 2015.

1. KtsTots

KtsTots New Egg

Jan 28, 2015
    Hello! I have been wanting to raise chickens for eggs for a couple years and now is the perfect time to do it! However, as I said I am starting from zero. I have lots of questions...

I live in WA state and my house is in the woods. There are dear, raccoons, possums, and even coyote from time to time. There are also Hawks, owls, and Eagles. The front yard is mostly driveway, lots of trees and some grass (mostly moss where grass used to be). The backyard is planter boxes with a little gravel path around the boxes, with shrubs and bushes around the perimeter. On one side, behind the bushes and shrub, the land drops off.

Temp wise, the summer is pretty nice and it Rarely getts above 80 degrees. Fall is also nice and remains mild temperature wise, seldom getting below 50. Winter is rainy and chilly. Night time temps are around 20-40. Daytime temps are pretty similar, but will sometimes be in the 50s. Spring is the rainiest season with temps between 30-60. That all being said, it is neither solely hot or cold climate.

My questions are this: where would be a best place to keep the coop in this terrain? Also, should the area where the chickens end up being kept be totally fenced, even on top? Lastly, is it best to start off with chicks so they grow and become accustomed to me or is it easier to begin with adult chickens?

Thank you! I am so excited about this journey!

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

First you might stop by our learning center for all kinds of good articles on all the aspects of keeping your flock...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

As for predators, if you have a lot of them you will need to keep your birds in a big run much of the time. I have big problems with predators day and night. So my birds can't free range during the day unless I supervise them. So I get them out for about an hour a day as I am working in the yard or coop. And I keep them in a large run at all other times. A run should be completely enclosed top and sides. I turn my birds out in an enclosed area (fenced but no top) as they do tend to wander and if they get to separated something can take them.

I prefer starting with chicks so they can bond with me and be more friendly. Also, you know how they were raised and how healthy they are. However adult birds will start laying faster. I still prefer the babies.

Good luck on this new journey and welcome to our flock!

4. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

where would be a best place to keep the coop in this terrain?

I would put the coop wherever it is easiest for you to access. I would insulate it well and add proper ventilation.

Also, should the area where the chickens end up being kept be totally fenced, even on top?

This is up to you. I have a run that is fully covered, but I also let mine free range. If you plan to keep them inside I would make their living quarters larger. Say at least 10 sq. feet per bird. More is better :)

Lastly, is it best to start off with chicks so they grow and become accustomed to me or is it easier to begin with adult chickens?

This is completely up to you. It is very rewarding to start with chicks. Just make sure you have a draft free brooder, a heat lamp, thermometer, and some chick starter. If you would rather skip all of that you can get young pullets who have not started to lay yet or even a year old hen.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

7. KtsTots

KtsTots New Egg

Jan 28, 2015
    Thank you everyone for your feedback!

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

Wyandottes7 and the other posters have answered your questions well. [​IMG]

Good luck with your future chickens!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Glad you joined!

10. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by