Starting Goose eggs in the incubator today and need help!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nvazquez, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Nvazquez

Nvazquez Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2016
    Franklin, NC
    [​IMG] I have only done chicken and duck eggs before! I just got a nice new HovaBator 1588. I need to take a few racks out to fit the huge goose eggs in and I have no clue what I'm doing!!!! Except, Great help from BYC Friend Food!! My eggs are shipped, Air cells have settled 24hrs! Time to get them cooking! Can anyone help me from here?

2. Mak24456

Mak24456 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    NC
    Sorry that I can't give any help since I've never tried goose eggs, but subscribing! I'd love to see how this turns out :D

1 person likes this.
  3. janelikesburds

janelikesburds Just Hatched

Nov 6, 2016
    It's my first time incubating goose egg as well. I use a cheap old plastic box type (?) incubator. Pretty much following this guide:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

I stared with 5 eggs from day-1, one was empty, another quitted within 3 days, the rest have made it to lockdown which starts today. [​IMG]

I lay them flat on the sides and hand turn them five times a day from day-2. Humidity around 25%. I cooled them daily for about 20 minutes , spray with some water and back to the bator.

Other than slightly lower temp and hand turning I'm not doing anything too different than when I incubate my mallard eggs.

1 person likes this.
  4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

1 person likes this.
  5. Nvazquez

Oct 19, 2016
    Franklin, NC
    [​IMG][​IMG] Candled goose eggs yesterday! I have a embryo in ALL 4!!! YAY... My RIR eggs look great also! I love my new HovaBator 1588! And here's a look at what is in the brooder! I have no clue the breed of the yellow chick! Other are my Barred Rock and Black Sex Link![​IMG]

6. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Awww...cute chicks!! I think they look like little cotton balls with legs at this age. [​IMG]

Great news on your goose eggs and RIR eggs, too!

1 person likes this.
  7. Nvazquez

Oct 19, 2016
    Franklin, NC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

UPDATE: 2 goose eggs still cooking and looking good!!! BUT, air cell looks a little bit big! Should I increase humidity a little I have had it at 45%.. Here's some picture's of my Barred Rock & Black Sex Link and my Blue Runner Ducklings! If you can see the yellow chick and if anyone can guess what she is I would love to know... Feathers she has got on wings are white, she was given for free by hatchery as a egg layer!

8. Nvazquez

Oct 19, 2016
    Franklin, NC
    [​IMG] Goose eggs go in lockdown Friday!!! I seem to be losing all my good eggs in lockdown stage and don't know why... Any tips? This is my 1st time hatching in my HovaBator 1588! HELP!! I have worked so hard with these eggs...

9. janelikesburds

janelikesburds Just Hatched

Nov 6, 2016
    How are those air cells looking?

My second batch of 6 eggs should go into lockdown (external pip) on Saturday. My last batch all 3 goslings hatched, but 2 of them I had to help in the middle of zipping due to too dry. If the air cells are too big before day-25 I would bump it right up all the way to hatching. Once they internal pip they'll most likely be fine (sometimes with little help from us).

Good luck with your eggs. Looking forward to see cute fluffy baby photos

1 person likes this.
  10. Nvazquez

Oct 19, 2016
    Franklin, NC
    [​IMG][​IMG] African Geese hatched today!!!! YAY!! Both hatched out great...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by