Starting in chicken breeding

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Ramblin Rooster, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    I was wondering what I will need to start small scale chicken breeding. What equipments, helpful info, etc

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A good incubator, incubator/hatcher or extra hen breeds that tend to go broody like cochins/silkies/etc..

Breeder pens where you can keep pairs or trios so you can pedigree the chicks and establish more than one line. You'll want at least 2 unrelated lines.
    Separate grow out and hen housing and pens

A couple inexpensive digital scales. One to weigh eggs and one to weigh chicks and adolescents, or one that can do both.

A good source for a breeder feed. Regular layer and grower feed doesn't have the nutritional punch for good fertility.
    Breeders need more animal protein, vitamins and trace minerals. If you can't find a breeder feed, you can add fishmeal and a vitamin/mineral supplement.

Processing equipment. To establish a good breeding program you need a minimum of 40 adults, hatch a lot and cull hard. That means lots of extra chicken dinners.

3. Ramblin Rooster

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    Thanks for the awesome help! We're a no kill farm so we would try to sell them or give them away. Any advice for selling quality chickens, shipping, selling eggs, etc?

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Until you develop a name for yourself and your line of birds, they'll just be considered chickens unless they're an extremely rare breed. To establish a name takes diligence and many years. It certainly isn't a get rich scheme. Selling hatching eggs from good lines and uncommon breeds is probably the best money producer.
    Shipping boxes aren't cheap but the cost gets built into the sales.

I know you're a no kill and I respect that but people who get your birds will only eat the roosters anyway. You've fed and put labor into them - you should also get the nutritional benefit for you and your family.
    If you're maintaining a flock of 40 breeders and actually improving or maintaining them, you'll probably be producing 50-100 unwanted cockerels a year at a minimum as well as extra pullets.

5. Ramblin Rooster

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    Well then that will be someone else's dinner because my whole family is vegetarians anyways.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Bless you.

Humans are omnivores.

7. Ramblin Rooster

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    In a good way or like I need it? We do all right, it's much easier than you'd think, especially when the whole family's doing it. Makes life a little more interesting [​IMG]

8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's way easier when the whole family is doing it. No matter the approach to nutrition.
    I think it's easier in the tropics where a greater variety of fruits and vegetables are available.

9. Ramblin Rooster

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    We shop mostly at whole paycheck-err-whole foods and they have lots of exotic stuff there. Not that we buy eggs there, as we don't need to, but I saw easter egger eggs there! Just an example of he variety there. [​IMG]

10. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Wait, when did you ever need so many chickens for a small scale breeding project?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by