STARTING INCUBATION SOON HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Coturnix Quail, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
  2. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Assuming your incubator is correctly calibrated (I've heard even new LG incubators built in thermometers being off by as much as 5 degrees!) you want the temperature at 37.5.

First, decide where you're going to put the incubator - this is important for temperature fluctuations.

Fans, doors, vents, windows, etc. can affect the incubator temperature - I do mine in my basement where the temperature is the most stable day and night in my house :)

You need to put the pointy side of the egg down and they should have settled for at least a day after moving from receiving them.

Also, the incubator should be running for at least several hours before putting the eggs in, ideally a day to make sure it's stable.

Make sure you put the water in! I'd say fill it once a day, I used mine today for the first time and used a straw plugged with my finger in a water bottle to transfer water over to the tiny water tray that is insanely close to the fan haha!

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh also, if you've been storing the eggs in a cool place, bring them to room temperature before setting them in the incubator [​IMG]

4. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Thank you! Should I store the incubator (while they're in there) where people often don't go? Also, as babies what should I use for the bedding because this is going to be my first tie and I don't want to mess up [​IMG]! Did you have any successful hatches with the incubator I'm going to use? I don't want to mess up all of the eggs.. lol... Also where could I get a heat lamp that's good for them? Is a cardboard box good enough for when their babies? Or should I use something else? Sorry I have sooo many questions because I'm a noob at this lol. I just want everything to go right. Thanks again!

5. mistymmg

mistymmg Just Hatched

Jul 26, 2016
    I'm also new to the hatching business.. I now have 13 quail (9/10 days old) & 3 pheasants same age.. I do know that cardboard wouldn't be ideal unless you use puppy pads so the bottom doesn't get saturated with feces.. I have mine set up in totes. I cut several pieces out of an old sheet so I can change/wash/bleach them 2-4 times a day.. Within the last few days I've had to change them soooo many times it isn't funny.. They step in their poop & it dries on their feet making them a target for picking.. I've tried washing their feet however, it's very hard to keep them calm & still.. I get a trickle of warm water going & try wiping with a cloth.l 've also tried holding them so they stand in a little plastic chip dip bowl to soften the mess but even that isn't helping.. It's really driving me insane!! Lol.. I tried paper towels but they pick it & eat it up with an hour.. I tried newspaper for a few minutes but that was too slick.. Lol. I'm not sure about incubation of all eggs but I had bob whites & a quail farm manager told me to keep my 30 yr old, (dry air) incubator at 102' degrees with a 60% + (mine was 75%) humidity rate until day 20, then up the humidity & no longer turn. Our hatching rate was outstanding, although, we've had our battles with other issues including pecking.. Wishing you Lots of luck!!!!

6. mistymmg

mistymmg Just Hatched

Jul 26, 2016
    Also, I kept my incubator in our basement bathroom.. I set up our food away camping table, closed the airconditioning vent & closed the door.. Only time I was in there was 3 or 5 times a day to turn the eggs & make sure there was enough humidity.. I also kept a small spray bottle in there & each time I turned the eggs I would add new "warm" water & mist directly on the eggs & around the incubator.. ^ ABOVE: I hit a 6 instead of 7, it (Should have read 70%+) on humidity..

7. mistymmg

mistymmg Just Hatched

Jul 26, 2016
    "Geeze, I should proof read"!! "Foldaway" camping table!! Lol

8. mistymmg

mistymmg Just Hatched

Jul 26, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. pkhunter

pkhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG]Build you a box with 1/4" wire on the bottom and you want have any poop problems at about 10 days old you can move them to 1/2" wire. I have a light with 60 watt bulb in one end so you can adjust it up or down to keep them warm
    [​IMG]

10. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Thanks guys! When they first hatch, what food can I use for them? And if not those options, what bedding should I use for them? Around here I cant find that small wire. Does on of those yellow dome incubators work well? Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by