starting layer feed

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by patty922, Sep 16, 2016.

1. patty922

patty922 Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    WNY
    Hi
    I know this is not a new question ata all! but my chickens are coming up on 16 weeks old and I wanted to switch them from grower feed to layer. which is best crumble or pellet? and i have been feeding them organnically and was woondering what would be a good one to research since I am not planning on makiing my own just yet? thank you for all your help and sorry if you have answered this before. We live in WNY area

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What breed are they? Switching to layer too early can slow down development, due to the lower protein content.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think there will be a lot of different opinions on that question. You might type the words "layer feed" or "best layer feed" into the BYC search box. I did so and a lot of old threads come up where it is discussed. Good luck on your search!

4. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    First off welcome to BYC I'm glad you joined us. Secondly I personally prefer the pellets over the crumble because when they eat the crumble too fast it gets in their nose and makes them sneeze and crumbles make more of a mess. Hope that helps!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What breeds do you have? Some are slow to start laying. You don't want to feed layer till they are close to popping out eggs.

7. patty922

patty922 Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    WNY
    I have Easter eggers

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Wait till they are laying to start layer feed. Easter Eggers can have a huge range in terms of when they start laying. It can be as early as 18 weeks, or as late as 28 weeks.

9. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

This, you don't want to switch to layer until all your birds are laying...

Layer feed has extra calcium in it for egg production, but if the bird is not laying they have no way to rid their body of that extra calcium, this can cause retarded growth, brittle bones, kidney damage and other health issues, plus layer feed is generally a lower protein that can also retard growth and development...

Best to stick to a starter/grower or all flock feed until all the birds are laying eggs, and ideally you will offer a side of oyster shells or crushed limestone for the birds that need the extra protein or start laying before the rest... Chicken bodies are well aware of their calcium needs and only those that need the calcium will eat the oyster shells/limestone so essentially no risk of poisoning the birds with excess calcium if it's offered as a side and not force fed in their feed...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  10. patty922

patty922 Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    WNY
    Thank you so much !! Any ideas on organic brands. They best ones? I will wait to switch to layer now but they are on a organic grower but can't get it anymore where I am so was wondering about organic layer for when I am ready

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by