Starting mealworms

fadfodeh

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 19, 2012
Hello Everyone
I live in a country where you cannot purchase mealworms from mealworm farms.
Is there a way to start your own mealworm farm for my flock?

Thank you

WOW, that's really a massive thread. Hope I can find this specific piece of information in that

Thank you so much

WOW, that's really a massive thread. Hope I can find this specific piece of information in that

Thank you so much

I don't know that you'll find what you are looking for in there, might, but I doubt it. Have you tried any kind of pet shops near your, lots of reptiles eat them so you may be able to find some live ones at a pet supply place.

I have no idea how you would get them started from wild stock, which I think is what you are asking?

Have you considered a vermiculture setup(I think that's the correct term for Worm Bin)? I started my worm bin by hand picking worms from my compost and a manure pile. Feed them lots of kitchen scraps and after they have multiplied pick out the worms to feed to the chickens. The big Nightcrawler worms don't work well in a bin but the little manure worms that are also in there work great. Takes a little time to build up stock but if you keep them well fed they do multiple quite well. I keep my bin in my garage which never goes below freezing, but you can also keep it in the house somewhere dark and cool. It doesn't smell if you are worried about that and it's another way to compost your veg scrapes that you don't throw to the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom