1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

starting my first flock

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mistyfeather, Nov 7, 2009.

1. mistyfeather

mistyfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    colorado
    i am a bout o start my first flock what would be better to start with, hatching my oun eggs or ordering chicks?

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I think it would depend on where you live, city or country. If you incubate, you never know if you will get a lot of roos or very few, so if you have noise laws in your area, that might make a difference.

3. mistyfeather

Oct 31, 2009
    colorado
    i live in the city but my mom ,dad and brother live in the mountains, my brother said he would keep some there if i ended up with a few roos [​IMG] that way i can still breed some of my own chicks latter on

4. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I am glad I started with adults, I think with my inexperience I would have had a lot of trouble with chicks. Just wanted to add that thought

5. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Are you starting a flock for eggs? If so the hatchery is going to give you better odds for hens than hatching your own eggs. I hatch out a few every couple of years just for fun. My flock is from a hatchery and the breeds are varied. With roosters that aren't a meat variety the meat to feed ratio is low but you can still use them for food.

6. mistyfeather

Oct 31, 2009
    colorado
    mostly for eggs but would like a few to go in the freezer

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I started with an order of hatchery pullets & I recommend that route. Everyone thinks it will be no hassle to rehome "a couple" of roosters. Unless you plan to eat those extra roosters (and I don't), rehoming is a major, major headache. I had a hatch of silkies this summer that was 5 pullets and 9 cockerals. I had to beg people to take them!
    Remember: you hatch 50/50 and your recommended rooster/hen ratio is about 1/10.
    One last thing: I would warn against acquiring grown birds. BYC is awash with stories of people agonizing over their sick chickens. Your best bet is to hatch your own or order a box of day-old hatchery chicks. I recommend the latter. I failed at incubating 3 times and sold the dreaded thing. The hatchery route is the least fuss - IMHO.

8. mistyfeather

Oct 31, 2009
    colorado
    thanx great advise,[​IMG] think i will go the safe rout and start with chicks. think im too excited to wait for them to hatch.

9. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I would recomend you start with day olds. or starter chicks. What do you intend doing with them?

10. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by