Starting My New Coop Soon

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TigerLilly, Sep 14, 2010.

1. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have gleaned quite a few ideas from all of the wonderful coops I have seen on here, so some of you may see some of your ideas in my coop. For that, I say thank you. The next pics I post will be in this thread and NOT in the 'ugly coops' thread! I have some questions, though:

Is there a certain direction the front of the coop should face?
    Should I have windows directly across from each other or should they be off-set?
    Would a couple of inches of air vent space all the way around the top be too much or not enough?
    What is the accepted sq ft recommendation for standard size chickens in the coop?
    Is it any different for the run or does the coop & the run get combined?
    I think that's it for now, but there will be more, you can count on it!

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:If you place windows on opposite walls, you can get cross ventilation (if they're operable windows, of course). Vents at the tops of walls are good; try to build at least 1 square foot of ventilation space per chicken. If you put hinged flaps on the vents you'll be able to adjust the amount of ventilation as needed when winter hits.

The usual rule of thumb you read here is 4 square feet of coop space per chicken plus 10 square feet of run space per chicken.

Welcome to the forum!

p.s.: I just noticed you're in Florida. Do be sure to think about keeping your chickens as cool as possible in the summer. Closed coops heat up like ovens in summer sun. So be thinking carefully about positioning your coop for shade, and adding extra ventilation.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Thanks, Elmo. You brought up some things I hadnt thought of (hinged vent covers) but will definitely be using!
    I already have the area the new coop & run are going in, as well as the measurements (thanks, again) for up to 32 birds. Right now I have 7 hens & 1 roo, but I'm weeding out the non-layers into a separate pen (2 so far). I'm looking at picking up 5 RIR pullets this weekend & maybe a couple more that have just started laying. Then temp pen is near where the permanent one is going & they are very well shaded, getting only the late afternoon sun. The corner of my backyard is awesome for this project, like I was MEANT to have my own little farm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by