Starting new coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by K-9mom, Jul 9, 2011.

1. K-9mom

K-9mom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    OK.. going tomorrow for the supplies to start my coop and was going to build 4 x 6 but now thinking 4x4 may be large enough. What do you all think. We only plan to have 4 or 6 (at most) hens (Wy's and PR's). I don't want them to have to much room due to the cold weather we get int he winter (I am in New England). They will be starting with a 6 x 8 outdoor attached pen and we may make it larger later.

So... your opinions please [​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I would go bigger than what you think you'll need!! Chicken math can really get to you!! [​IMG]

Oopsss I forgot to [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  3. K-9mom

K-9mom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Thanks BB....
    I am very excited to finally be at this point (I have been thinking about getting Chickens for a couple years now!). I guess I will go back to a 4x6 coop. I am in an area where 6 would be more than enough and easy enough to control (I also raise German Shepherds so they have the majority of the fenced property!).
    As I mentioned, I will start with a 6 x 8 attached kennel and work our way bigger later this fall when I can build an area out of wood & hardware mesh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by