Starting new flock too late??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rschunk, Sep 28, 2012.

1. rschunk

rschunk Out Of The Brooder

My hens got killed yesterday apparently by a raccoon. I'm wondering if it is too late in the season to start another flock?

I'd like to get some more Barred Plymouth Rocks like I used to have...

Any suggestions?

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    It's not too late. If you get chicks now, you'll have them laying by next spring. : )

However, before I got more I'd make sure my coop/run are very secure to keep the same coon from getting your replacements. Did the coon get them when they were free ranging? Good luck

~ Aspen

3. rschunk

Hi..no, they were in the chicken run.I found one with its head through the wire. I just don't know what actually happened, but, coons are definitely suspect and subject to my wrath... [​IMG]

I read yesterday that they sometimes work in pairs, one scaring the chickens to the edge and the other reaching
    through and grabbing them....

Just don't know....

I did find one spot where the rain had apparently washed some dirt from the bottom of the run and I suspect the missing one was pulled out from there, but I searched last evening and didn't find anything...

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Sounds like coons to me. They just eat the head and leave the rest. Maybe you need to get a game camera and sit it up by your coop?

If you are using the normal chicken wire on your run, I highly advise against it. It's weak and easy to break through. I use old cotton trailer sides for my runs. If that isn't available I use heavy duty welding wire.

~ Aspen

5. kdwag

kdwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    Did this happen during the day?

6. seramachick8

seramachick8 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    North Texas
    It's never too late for more chickens!!! You could also try to find some older ones locally :)

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I do not suggest getting adult chickens, unless you are very certian they are in excellent health. I've been burned several times when I bought adult chickens, they gave disease to my whole flock. It's awful. Be very, very cautious when buying adult birds, or even chicks.

~ Aspen

8. seramachick8

seramachick8 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    North Texas
    I've had that happen too! But it can happen with any bird you buy. I started isolating my birds after I get them and watching then for a few weeks. We also ended up getting some laying hens that were much older than what we were told so watch out for that too! :)

9. rschunk

I'm not really sure...Usually I park in the barn and can hear them clucking when I go to work but haven't been doing that for the past couple weeks. I only discovered them at about 4pm when I went out to feed them after I got home. By that time they were cold.

10. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    if you do start again buy point of lay as autum/winter hatched birds dont do as well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by