Starting our first hatch tomorrw

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ciderman, Dec 21, 2013.

1. ciderman

ciderman New Egg

Dec 21, 2013
    We have just been trying to get our incubator up and running before we introduce our first eggs into it, we have struggled to get the right humidity, we have now got it down to about %55 but am worried i havent got enough water in there, have only had to put in a table spoon full of water any more and it was up to %65. Can anyone put my mind at rest this right. Worried hatcher ciderman.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. As long as your humidity and temperature sensors have been calibrated, you should be good to go.. Best wishes for a successful hatch.

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome to BYC and Happy Holidays! Good luck with your hatch. X2 double check your humidity/temperature sensors, but if the humidity is really high where you are, you may not have to put much or any water in the incubator ... as much rain as we have been having lately we'd have to use a dehumidifier in the room to incubate right now. Remember you just need to have the air cells the right size at the end, the humidity can vary some over the days. You could check the BYC Learning Center articles on doing a dry hatch also.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC & Happy Holidays!

7. ciderman

ciderman New Egg

Dec 21, 2013
    Thank you for the reply i did wonder if the wet weather did have an an affect on the incubator conditions but does make sense.
    Best regaurds ciderman

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

9. ciderman

ciderman New Egg

Dec 21, 2013
    After collecting my hatching eggs the supplier told me that this might not be the best time of year to get a hatch and he wasnt sure they would be fertile, has any one expericened problems hatching eggs during this time of year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by