1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

starting out on quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CHEIF91, Jan 26, 2012.

1. CHEIF91

CHEIF91 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2012
    loganville,georgia
    hey im doing a FFA project any suggestions on breeding and raising

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Check out the stickies at the top of the quail section, they contain all the quail know how you will need

3. CHEIF91

Jan 25, 2012
    loganville,georgia
    ok thank you

4. CHEIF91

Jan 25, 2012
    loganville,georgia
    i have been reading and the coturnix quail seem to be the easiest ones to raise, am i correct?
    Could I have get advice on a decent incubator, also a breeder to get eggs from?
    My FFA teacher said if i get the eggs he will put them in the incubator at school.
    for us, my dad and i want to raise quail and are looking for some suggestions.
    We are starting to build our cages this week, i know to do a search and get some of my answers.
    thank you

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  5. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    yes, coturnix are the easiest. check out the "show me your coops" page, there are lots of idea's in there. Best thing to do is go with your teacher first, buy some eggs and put them in there. then down the line buy an incubator

i can't tell you which is the best, but i can tell you that i use the Hovabator 1602n still air incubator, i have added a fan and auto turners to make it forced air, and so i don't have to turn eggs by hand. all that stuff, bator, fan, turners, cost me about 100 bucks(i don't pay shipping b/c GQF(the people that make the incubator) is right down the street from me)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by