1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starting out...roosters or hens? Breed? So confused!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TAlvitre21, Sep 10, 2016.

1. TAlvitre21

TAlvitre21 New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    These guys found me a few weeks ago and I've been keeping get them fed and safe from coyotes ever since. I don't know much about chickens but I'm learning. They all crow and none have laid eggs in 2 weeks. They are not aggressive. Can anyone tell if they're hens or roosters? And what breed they are? I'm thinking Dominique but one of their combs confuse me.[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Welcome! You have 2 roosters maybe 3. I can't see the one behind feeder on the last paste. Also can't see combs clear from my pics. I am thinking it could be a single comb that had been frost bit. I've had a couple roosters do that. The comb breaks off and forms what looks like a single pea comb.

They are beautiful and may be Dominique, Plymoth Barred Rock, or mixes. I would say someone is missing them. Have you posted up "Found" signs? Could also be that someone dropped them off because they are roosters.:confused:

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    All roosters. All are Dominiques (except one has a poor comb).

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Dominique roosters.

I don't think anyone is missing them. I think someone dumped them instead of manning up and taking care of business.

5. TAlvitre21

TAlvitre21 New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    Thank you for the help! That's what I think too unfortunately. In everyone's opinion, what should I do with these guys? I want some hens, not roosters:( These boys are actually really nice and pretty. I just wouldn't know what to do with them.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    all cockerels, that is why they are all crowing. You could advertise them as "Dominique " roosters and put up a photo - I think someone would buy them if you don't ask too much. They are so different from the very common breeds people are trying to re-home.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree with Diva, you can advertise them for a nominal fee or for free. Understand they may well go to someone's table. If you like, pick one to keep and find some hens to keep him company. they don't have to be the same breed, any dual purpose/laying hens will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by