Starting Over

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ketcham, Jul 17, 2011.

1. ketcham

ketcham Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    Someone got into the coop and got my chickens while I was gone over the weekend.I have shot 5 coons in the last week,so I'm guessing it was one.Now I have to start all over.RATS!!!!!! Kevin ps 6 hens 2 roosters and they were just getting close to start laying.

2. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] sorry for your loss

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Thats terrible. Before you start over fixs the coop so no predators can get in. Good luck!!!

4. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I know the feeling and empathize. Luckily, I was always left with enough eggs to start over with the same stock. But you just get attached to the ones that you have (beyond the money and time invested) and there is no replacing them.

5. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Man, I HATE it when that happens. Well, start over you must. But like mentioned before, do a re-make on the coop so nothing can get in. Don't invite a 'next time' for those wretched coons. [​IMG]

6. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I am so sorry for your loss. Would you mind telling me where your coop was the weakest? We just finished our run and, although we think we have it lock-tight, I worry that we are forgetting something.

7. ketcham

ketcham Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    Chicken coop is 18 inches off the ground,had some chicken wire 3ft higher up the walls to let air in.They climbed in there----USE HEAVY GUAGE WIRE EVERYWHERE!!!Kevin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by