Starting Over

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sophia101, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Sophia101

Sophia101 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2014
    Well its that time where our hens are getting VERY old. Most of them haven't been laying for years but they are just too special to kill. We are however going to have to man up. Many of them are getting injured and dying. One of our hens just suddenly started limping and is now paralyzed in one leg. She is doing OK but sleeps on the floor with our bantam who can't jump up onto the perch. We will be keeping our ducks and geese and our younger hens but the older ones have got to go, before things get worse. I have also decided to add a secondary bantam coop to our current standard coop. The standard coop is my housemates, so the bantams would be all my own. It will be nice to have smaller eggs for baking since I don't like them. So I would like some suggestions on my new flock. This will not be my first time raising chicks and my coop is already built, just needs some fixing up. What bantam breeds are the hardiest? We have cold Vermont winters and hot Vermont summers. We have successfully raised both Cochins and Silkies but I don't know of any other breeds me or my chicken loving friends have ever raised here.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. Sophia101

Sophia101 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2014
    Thank you I will have to check those out! I have never heard of those. But the google pictures are goergious! :)

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by