Starting poultry business in March: Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SupaChickn, Dec 5, 2012.

1. SupaChickn

SupaChickn Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2012
    Harrison, Ga
    I am starting a small (not according to my wife though) poultry business in March in my tri-county area in Georgia. I am looking to sell eggs, chicks and pullets. So far I have secured a few local businesses to sell my chicks and have a couple buyers for my eggs. If you have already done this before and have any advice I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I haven't done this but here's my advice:

Don't get respiratory disease in your flock. Keep a nice closed flock to prevent getting MG or one of those diseases that passes through the egg to the chick. Order your flock-starting chicks from a hatchery, feed store, or very reputable breeder and use biosecurity.

Don't take roosters back into your flock if your pullets turn out to be roos (from the customer as a return, I mean).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  3. SupaChickn

May 26, 2012
    Harrison, Ga
    Well, i already have an established flock of about 50 birds right now so no new one will be coming in. And i will be selling just straight run chicks at the feed stores in town so no guarentees on what gender they get. I appreciate the input on the diseases. I like that term "biosecurity" haha ill have to use that word now

4. ChickensAreSweet

You sound like you are all set!

5. SupaChickn

May 26, 2012
    Harrison, Ga
    I hope so. I just hope i can find enough business to make it profitable. Right now if I can just make enough to pay for their food i will be satisfied.

6. ChickensAreSweet

You might want to look into a feed mill for your feed- just be aware that feed mill feeds can be very crumbly unless you get pellets and you might need to make it moist for them. Or you can grow your scratch grains.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by