Starting Shipped Cream Legbars - am I doing it right? ADVICE?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by laceyyates, Sep 10, 2016.

1. laceyyates

laceyyates Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2016
    I received 15 Cream Legbars in the mail, and only 1 was cracked, so 14 will go in the bator (10:00 am will be 24 hours that I have let them rest in carton pointy side down). Will also have 12 buffs that are going to be incubated along with them, but I'm MOST concerned about the legbars! Here's the bator stats before I put eggs in:

Temp - 100
    Humidity - Dry Method (holding at 23%)

On day 18 I wanted to increase the humidity to 60-65% and leave temp alone

I have a 48 egg automatic turner.

Is this a good idea with this breed? ANY help or advice would be appreciated as my first hatch (4 shipped BCM ) was a fail as none developed, although I'm not sure it was my fault or not as they were shipped 1200 miles[​IMG]

Thank you for being willing to share information with a newbie who desperately wants to incubate successfully!

Also - I have looked at air cells this am - they *look* like air cells [​IMG], but I have no idea what a detached one looks like?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    What incubator are you using? I have not hatched that breed before but your settings sound good. Just remember that you need to monitor how the air cells grow and adjust your humidity according to their size. If they look to small increase your humidity. If they look to big then decrease it. Also, since they are shipped, when you candled them did the air cell move or was it a solid circle in the fat end of the egg?

3. laceyyates

laceyyates Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2016
    That makes sense humidity wise! I have a "chinese cheapie" 48 egg turner incubator with forced air. When I candled, the air cell was def small. It moved a bit side to side, but didn't move to the middle of the egg or anything like that...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by