gfvirga

Songster
6 Years
Feb 5, 2016
Hamburg, NY
My Coop
My Coop
Hello All,

My wife, daughter, furry daughters and me are very excited to start our chickens this spring. We are neighbor of @armorfirelady and we are extremely in love with her chickens and their eggs. We feel horrible when we go to the store to buy eggs, they are just not the same! Our awesome neighbor hooked us up with an old coop from a coworker and we are rehabbing it for the spring!

Pic of the coop 2/7/2016. It feels looks like spring already! \o/
We are planning to build a nest box and to winterproof it. It had a metal roof, but I didn't really like how beaten up it was so we are replacing it. I will post more pics of the progress when I am back to working on it :).

We ordered our chickens this week from a local hatchery https://www.thepoultryhatchery.com/ and they will be picked up on March 19th.
We got a mix of breeds we would like to try. We ordered:
Amerucanas (EE)
Barred Rock
Rhode Island Red
Black Australorp
Dominique
Cream Brabanter

I am excited to join this site. I have learned so much already and I am sure there are much more to learn.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Thanks for posting the pic of your coop. If you have any predators in your area such as snakes, rats, weasels, minks, etc. I would recommend covering that weld wire with hardware cloth as these predators can pass through the openings in your weld wire. Also coons will reach through with their arms and grab any chickens up next to the wire tearing off their limbs. There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/11-tips-for-predator-proofing-chickens.html on predator proofing your chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. X2 on Michael OShay and drumstick diva.

Hi, welcome to BYC and the best of luck with finishing your coop before your new flock arrives!

All the best
CT

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Thanks for posting the pic of your coop. If you have any predators in your area such as snakes, rats, weasels, minks, etc. I would recommend covering that weld wire with hardware cloth as these predators can pass through the openings in your weld wire. Also coons will reach through with their arms and grab any chickens up next to the wire tearing off their limbs. There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/11-tips-for-predator-proofing-chickens.html on predator proofing your chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.
Thank you, I will add the mash to the to-do list. I have a lot of creature around my house, including raccoon and coyotes.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Raising chickens is a great hobby for the whole family, very interesting and rewarding. And of course, there are those eggs! If you have any questions, feel free to ask...there are a lot of helpful members here, all ready to help you out.

Good luck with the new flock!

Thank you, I will add the mash to the to-do list. I have a lot of creature around my house, including raccoon and coyotes.

You're welcome. Also with raccoon make sure that your door is padlocked or at least has a double action latch as coons can easily figure out how to open a single action latch.

Back
Top Bottom